Monday, August 16, 2010

Villa Francesca

Just off of Hanover Street as you round the first corner onto onto Richmond, Ristorante Villa-Francesca sits beaming proudly along the Freedom Trail. A boat-shaped raw bar in the window is surrounded by pretty plants and hanging flower pots. 
I've visited for drinks, but never a meal. I was delighted to attend a dinner with bloggers and experience what this well established North End spot had to offer. I arrived and was lead downstairs to wine cellar. Here I was greeted with a glass of Prosecco and freshly shucked oysters. After a good hour of mingling, we sat down to dinner. The appetizer course began with an impressive Antipasti Dela Casa.
The house antipasti platter included: prosciutto, salami and provolone alongside a caprese salad, finished with a chiffonade of fresh basil and a dusting of cracked pepper. I especially adored the presentation of salami pyramids. Next we enjoyed the Fettuccine Con Gamberi - the homemade pasta was excellent, with perfectly cooked shrimp in a vibrant tomato basil and cream sauce.
Villa Francesca was packed tonight! It was the first Monday of Restaurant Week. The atmosphere upstairs is just as inviting as the wine cellar we were dining in. Hardwood floors, exposed brick archways, elegant wine racks and a chic marble bar are all part of the bustling scene. For the main course, we had our choice of two entrees. 
Sogliola Alla Meditteranea - Fillet of Sole prepared with extra virgin olive oil, a touch of butter, lots of fresh basil and a sprinkle of fresh tomato, served with roasted potatoes and escarole with cannellini beans.
Pollo Monte - Chicken layered with Eggplant and mozzarella, topped with artichoke in a white wine sauce, served with roasted potatoes and spinach. Megan ordered the Pollo, I ordered the Sogliola, and we shared. Both were delicious! 
For dessert, our waitress filled fresh baked cannoli shells table side and topped them with chocolate chips, walnuts and powdered sugar.
Heaven on a plate.
And heaven (espresso) in a tiny mug.
I had an absolute blast dining with these guys!! Thanks so much Villa Franchesca for your generous hospitality.
Another North End gem discovered. My walks home past Ristorante Villa Francesca will forever be filled with fond memories of this night.

150 Richmond Street
Boston, MA 02109

this meal was complimentary, all opinions are my own

22 comments:

  1. Looks like a great restaurant. I like the decor too.

    You bloggers are all so fashionable. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fab night! Must have been fun, meeting other bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the write up :) I'm almost hungry all over again! Almost. Kind of still super full from last night <3
    k

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a fab evening! Villa Francesca was actually the very first North End restaurant I went to when I first moved to Boston, so it always has a special place in my heart ;) And of course I love their cannolis! (but, I do love all cannolis hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you already posted a review... must have been the espresso! Thanks again for splitting dinner with me. I love when we do that and get to try everything! This really was a fabulous evening, from the oysters and the mingling to all of the food and the freshly filled cannoli! So glad we got to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. holy freaking food. jealous!!! i want that shrimp fettucine. and that cannoli is the fanciest one i've ever seen. god i love prosecco too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should probably comment on the amazing-sounding food, but I'm quite obsessed with the lovely hanging plant baskets in that one picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. CANNOLIS FILLED AT YOUR TABLE!? Get out of town! No, don't because that would mean you wouldn't write up amazing, mouth watering reviews such as this one. Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have we convinced you to join Twitter yet? Please? It was great seeing you and I hope we can do a North End date soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a fun place and everything looks so yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man am I hungry. The sole and the cannoli look AMAZING! oy

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll definitely be reading that one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cannoli!

    That is some seriously beautiful food. I wasn't planning on stopping at the grocery on the way home, but now I feel I must. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I'm mad. Sooo mad! ;/

    P.S. This looked like an awesome time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wiw! Your post is awesome. You really got a lot of great photos. Let's definitely have another North End date soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That restaurant is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great to meet you! Looking forward to checking out more of your North End recs and tweeting with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You lucky girl! You got to enjoy an evening with other cool bloggers and eat all that wonderful food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was so great to meet you, and now to welcome you to twitter!! Your photos are fantastic! Hope to see you soon!

    @renh77

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cant deal with that Cannoli...

    ReplyDelete