Monday, August 8, 2011

Basho | Japanese Brasserie

Basho is the Japanese term for a place where things happen and indeed things are happening, all of them good, at this sleek ultra modern establishment that embodies its label as a brassiere (minus the French part of course). The vibe is relaxed while the setting leans towards upscale, the service is informal and friendly while remaining exceptionally efficient. My sister and I have fairly regular sushi nights and Basho was just delightful!
It was sufficiently busy on a Tuesday evening but not busy enough where we had to wait for a table sans reservation. We were greeted immediately and swiftly ushered into the large dining room where uniform rows of polished black tables are separated by potted bamboo. A sushi bar running the length of the dining room commands attention backed by ultra thin light fixtures illuminating the white wall. The dining room is separated from the entrance and bar area by geometrical shaped muted lime green booths. Leah and I immediately took note of the sake samplers being enjoyed at the table to our left; sparkling like they were sent down from the heavens above - each mini glass with its own personal garnish. Serious drink envy set in. We were bummed when our waiter informed us it was part of a special Ru La La dinner deal and alas, no sake sampling for us. I made a shameless plug for the sampler via my $40 Groupon (no dice) before we settled on carafes of warm sake. A classic Junmai Sho Chiku Bai ($8) satiated our sake appetites. Speaking of classics, we started with an order of Edamame ($4.75) precisely flavored with sea salt and lime before diving into an order of the Fried Oyster Special ($7.95). A plump oyster gets a hearty coating of panko bread crumbs and is fried until golden brown. The contrast of the warm slippery bivalve to the crispy panko exterior proves a perfect pop-able bite. 
My expectations were fairly high in the sushi department and Basho offered some impressively unique maki that rose to the occasion.
Whoever is to be credited with the invention of the Celtic Maki Burrito ($16.95) I'd like to personally thank. Named for its green wrapper this piece-de-resistance consists of a whole spicy tuna roll wrapped in soy paper and deep fried in a light tempura batter. An array of sauces including barbecued unagi, basil oil and jalapeño aioli accompany this bliss inducing bite. Make that five bites. It is a (mini) burrito after all. I would go back solely on its behalf. Other phenoms include the gorgeous looking Amaebi Mango Roll ($13.95) with grilled pineapple and juicy mango chunks. This creative maki embraced summery, tropical fruits, which paired beautifully with the cucumber and shrimp. The mango sauce was perhaps a little too sweet - either that or it should have been drizzled on top with a bit more restraint. We are usually picky about the construction of the rolls themselves, this one would have benefited from a more precise roll as certain maki towards the center were falling apart in our chopsticks before making it in to the essential soy sauce dip. Fortunately the Scallop Kiwi Roll ($13.95) stayed in place start to finish. I love that Basho incorporates various fresh fruit in their maki. In this creation thinly sliced scallop, juicy kiwi and black tobiko top a well made roll of minced seafood, a seaweed salad and tempura crumbs. We decided not to stop at green burritos and fruit laced maki. For dessert we ordered the Green Tea Tempura Ice Cream ($5). What is better than an ice cream sundae? A deep fried ice cream sundae washed down with a glass of Choya Umeshu Plum ($7) dessert wine. Immense satisfaction is setting in. welcome addition to the Fenway neighborhood, Basho opened in April 2010 by the same owner as beloved Douzo in the Back Bay. With robust menu options and maki rolls worthy of praise, I would happily return to sample more of the menu and to order the Celtic Maki Burrito again - definitely that.

Where should we go for sushi next?

1338 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215

17 comments:

  1. That is some intense sushi. I love all the bright colors, especially the green outside of the burrito.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sleek interior. I think I passed this place recently on my way to Church Boston... will have to pop in next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love their decor! And I like going places where things happen. You should go to Snappy Sushi in Davis next. It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baso looks beautiful! I would love to eat in such a cool place. And the food looks fabulous.

    I think you should come down to LA and have sushi with me. We could go to Tengu which is one of my favorite places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Basho's opening party and really enjoyed the sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know we already talked about this but I went to Basho for Valentine's Day and LOVED it! The fried oyster special looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been to Basho once but had a wonderful experience. They have awesome drinks too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a great sushi spot! Great review - I just passed this place and was curious how the food was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are giving me a serious sushi craving! Everything looks great. I've seen Basho often but never stopped in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's kind of out of the way, but Ole in Reading has AMAZING sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just KNEW there was going to be sushi in this and it made me want to look, yet turn away at the same time. My fave sushi joint in the neighborhood closed down and now I'm starving on a regular basis. HAHA! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I dont really groove on sushi but I would happily get groovy with that deep fried sundae

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, the sushi looks really awesome here, the Celtic Maki Burrito sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving the ambiance and the food! Looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those oysters look like they're to die for!! I am going to definitely have to try this place - thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmmm. I'm drooling! I'm definitely going to need sushi sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have to go back! Might just be my #2 fav sushi spot. Inaho being#1 of course!

    ReplyDelete