Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fig Infused Vodka Martini

I decided on a whim to make a small batch of infused vodka using some dried black mission figs I had on hand. I simply placed four of the figs into a wide-mouth mason jar, poured vodka over them, covered the jar and let it steep for about two weeks at room temperature. I shook the infusion about once per day. I also took care to store it away from direct sunlight.
On Saturday night, my first attempt at a homemade infusion was ready to take center stage in none other than.....a martini!! The drink making process was quite an experiment, but the final measurements below depict an equal balance of sweet to sour to bitter.

Fig Infused Vodka Martini
2 1/2 shots fig infused vodka - (about 2 ounces)
1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice - (about 1/4 lemon)
1 dash Angostura bitters- (about 1 teaspoon)
Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and garnish with half a fig slice.
The about measurements are depicted in parenthesis because I wasn't technically measuring the ingredients. Originally I juiced half a lemon into the shaker and whoa, it completely overpowered the martini. I have been known to underestimate the strength of a lemon, but I also love a citrus counterpart. I easily tempered this by topping the drink off with more of the vodka, which is delightfully figgy and sweet, but not intoxicatingly so.As far as the bitters are concerned, I purchased my first bottle for the occasion. Angostura is the most basic of cocktail bitters and a tiny bottle will only cost you about $8. Despite the fact that this was my first time crafting a cocktail with it, I knew a little dash would go a long way. The fig infused vodka lends a depth and potency while the lemon some brightness and the bitters serve to balance these equally sweet and sour parts. If you follow me on Instagram, (daisy21) you saw what my Saturday night consisted of firsthand! I was perfectly content to stay in and sip this while watching Sweet Home Alabama on TV. Have you ever infused vodka or another type of liquor? What did you make with it?

24 comments:

  1. LOVELY! I tried a habanero and pineapple infused vodka once that was SO sweet and spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made watermelon infused vodka. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH. What a great idea!! I've infused vodka a bunch of times - with cranberries every holiday season, lemons, etc. How do you think this fig vodka would go with St. Germain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great!! Also great with a touch of vanilla vodka and apple juice! Try it!

      Delete
  4. That sounds awesome! I want one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to make a vodka infusion, but keep putting it off. You make is sound so fun though, so maybe that will be my motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Working at a college bar, we tend to do a lot of weird infusion...things. I guess is the easiest way to describe it. The one that went over the best was vodka infused with Jolly Ranchers. They were a little too sweet for my taste, but the colored bottles next to each other were kind of cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love making my own infused vodka - love the fig idea. I have only done pineapple and apple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've done strawberry infused vodka (used wild tea, amazing), but i'm loving the thought of figs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl Grey tea makes a great one

      Delete
  9. You're so creative! Fig-infused vodka sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a lovely night. And my kind of cocktail. I've soaked cranberries in vodka, but never the mighty fig! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Finally found a way I can comment! blogger is being weird on me. anyway- love the figs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you tempered the drink with more vodka. I would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like such a delicious drink! Can't wait to try it!

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, nice job, Daisy!! If you ever do a "best of" post for your blog, this should definitely be included.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you are so stinkin' creative - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yum! sounds so different. I want to infuse vodka with cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love vodka but never tried making a homemade infused version myself. This martini looks delicious, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hello yumminess! i have been wanting to infuse vodka with basil and cucumbers. oh how i love martinis!!! i had my first one the other day after well over a year! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I love figs. I love vodka. Sounds like I need to make this!!! The only infused vodka I've made is with pineapples... Stoli Dolis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sophisticated cocktail! I'm impressed with you mixing skills and wish I was enjoying one right now :)

    ReplyDelete