Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Tulum Ruins


The Yucatan Peninsula is dense with ancient Mayan ruin sites - most of them located in the jungle. The Tulum ruins are special and were of great importance because of their location on the water. 

I was captivated. There's so much mystery. How did they build these grand structures? What did they look like in all their colorful glory? What really happened to the Mayans?  It was humbling and awe inspiring to be in the presence of these magnificent temples and homes.

Get here early in the morning (9am-ish). We only spent an hour here (that is really all you need to see everything) and as we were on our way out, the place was flooded with tourists - and this is the off season. It would certainly have detracted from the experience had we gotten there even a half hour later. 

Also, the weather this morning was incredible. We woke up to a passing storm and watched as it cleared out to the North. The skies in these photos were constantly changing as the heavy clouds passed over. 

3 comments:

  1. I went there on a trip in high school... so beautiful! I remember my mom wanted to take a rock and we told her NO! because it could be cursed or something if we took it away from it's "resting place" lol.

    Happy turkey day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are gorgeous! Nick and I were there a few years ago and I didn't want to leave -- everything was so beautiful and mysterious and fascinating. I, too, got yelled at for touching something haha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to visit ruins like this!

    ReplyDelete