Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Little Big Diner | Newton Centre

I've love Ramen! And I'm not ashamed to admit I will eat a bowl of Maruchan at home when the mood strikes. It's a comfort thing. I've had ramen at a handful of places in Boston - that's certainly not an exhaustive list and I had yet to proclaim a favorite among them. Little Big Diners Miso Ramen ($15) changes that. A traditional patian broth with miso paste achieves a savory depth that's further enhanced by a wealth of umami flavors - ground pork, a gorgeous ajitama egg, and an alluring swirl of black garlic oil. The bitter crunch of bean sprouts, plus sweet corn kernels, heaps of scallions, a strip of nori, and delicate, chewy noodles impart balance and texture. A dose of chili heat is optional, and advisable. This ramen is the one!! Its my favorite! The Forest Mushroom Ramen ($14) loaded with heiwa tofu and shitake mushrooms is also wonderful and well suited for vegetarians. It offers a uniquely subtle yet dense and earthy broth, capped with a confetti of crinkly watercress, scallions and sesame seeds. 

Dishes from the "little" section of the menu like the Grilled Shrimp "Salad" Buns ($9) with pressed cucumber, lime, and mayo, cradled in soft, pillowy Chinese steamed bao are a revelation. Three rotating draft cocktails include a fizzy Singapore Sling ($10), plus a rum, campari, green chartreuse and almond syrup concoction called Flip The Bird ($12) and my choice - the Umami So Fat ($9) with bacon washed bourbon, maple and umami bitters. Beer, sake and wine lists have 6-8 solid offerings like the Great Divide "Colette" Farmhouse Ale ($6) on draft, and the Bushido ($7) junmai genshu sake - also on draft!

They don't take reservations - on a recent Friday around 7 pm we only encountered a 15 minute wait. LBD is a fun, casual, energetic spot to get your noodle on and definitely worth a trip to Newton Centre!

Where is your favorite place for Ramen?

1247 Centre St.
Newton, MA 02459

7 comments:

  1. I recently had a fantastic vegan ramen here in Portland, and now I'm hooked! I'll have to try this mushroom version next time we're in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg want NOW! I need to get on the ramen train! though isn't really in my wedding diet...lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the ramen is delicious, but those soft, pillowy shrimpy sandwich things are where my eyes first went- YUM! Your writing is great- so descriptive and I felt like I could taste what you were describing. Love learning about new-to-us local places :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the shrimp buns really were the absolute best. Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  4. So glad you guys made it there! All my friends raved about the shrimp buns and I agree that the mushroom ramen is a killer vegetarian choice. I also love the ramen at Strip-T's in Watertown and at Wagamama (a chain, I know, but it's great). I need to try Snappy Ramen in Davis next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Snappy Ramen. We should make a dinner date!

      Delete
  5. I really need to get on this ramen train and try those shrimp buns too!

    ReplyDelete